Travel Benefits

When you travel for treatment as the result of your work-related injury, you are entitled to the same mileage a state worker receives.  In order to obtain these benefits, you need to send a travel log to the insurance adjuster documenting: the date of travel, from (address), to (address) and the round trip mileage. I always attach a google map showing the directions between the two destinations to document the distance.  This is a sample of what a travel log would look like if I received benefits for mileage from my office to the Alaska Workers Compensation Board: Travel Log sample

Here is the google map showing the distance: 750 W 2nd Ave, Anchorage, AK 99501 to 3301 Eagle St, Anchorage, AK 99503 - Google Maps

The amount of the travel benefits depends on what year the travel was made. Link to Bulletin 17-01 from the Alaska Workers Compensation Board to find that information,

As always, when you turn in documentation that you are entitled to benefits, the insurance company has a duty to pay it or controvert it within a specific time period. That time period commences when you turn in the documentation. So you need to save proof of the date that you turned it in. If you faxed it, save the fax confirmation page. If you emailed it, save the email. If you went in person and handed it to someone, make a second copy of the log for yourself (which you should have anyway) and ask the receptionist to date-stamp your copy. That will prove when you were in there. If you mail it, mail it certified. If the benefits are not timely paid, you will be entitled to a 25% penalty plus interest.

Keenan Powell has practiced Workers Compensation law in the State of Alaska for over 30 years and has dedicated her practice to Workers Compensation representing injured Alaskans handling hundreds of cases.

All consultations are free.  To make an appointment, use the contact form on this website or call:  907 258 7663.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *